Tuesday, February 20, 2018

30 interesting things about myself

1. Short Height
If I ask any friend of mine to express me in one word, the most common adjective will be the word "short," referring to my short height. As a result, I was commonly dubbed as smurf or dwarf when I was young. Now, even though I am a high school senior, my height does not exceed 170cm, quite unsatisfactory. I once had a complex being teased by my peers about my height. After I went through adolescence, I learned how to respect myself rather than being influenced by others' mean comments. Thus, these days, I do not care so much about those banters, but still if someone jokes about my height when I am in a bad mood, it hurts my feeling slightly. I guess I am still on the way to learn how to genuinely appreciate my given condition and cope with those chaffs. In fact, if we round our heights up to hundred digit, it's all the same!

2. A short boy story by haha (Song)
One of my favorite songs is"A short boy story" by the singer HAHA. I can truely sympathize with the main protagonist in the lyrics. The line that caught my attention, and still remains as the all-time favorite, is that "I am happy that I am short because I can look up everything in the world," in a sense of reverence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrYuEJV4UCk

3. I wear 260~265mm shoes, larger than normal size that a person similar to my height would wear. In other words, I relatively have big feet. I only buy "Reebok" products.

4. Sports Maniac
I enjoy almost all kinds of sports. Olympics games seasons, coming every two year considering both summer and winter, are one of the many factors that motivate my mundane life. Every month before the Olympics, I print out our Korean National team's schedules in order not to miss a single game. Regardless of the kind, sports games themselves containing dramas and stories thrill my nerves. Pyeongchang Olympics is also added to my enjoyable memory.

5. Lotte Giants
Whenever it is not the Olympic seasons or World Cup seasons, I fill my boring evening with watching Korean Baseball League. Many people align themselves with their regional teams. However, I cheer for Lotte Giants, the team based on Busan, even though I was born in Cheon An. I hate seeing traitors moving from one team to another. Thus, it has been about 10 years since I started watching Lotte Giant's games. My favorite player is Dae Ho Lee. Unfortunately, my team has not won the Korean series for 26 years. I wish the curse will not last longer than the one did for Chicago Cubs.

6. Laziness
I like to be lazy. I focus the quality of work that I do than the quantity of the work itself. Thus, my policy is to be a smart couch potato. Still, the premise of my policy is to get all works that I have to do done.

7. Stick to the principle
I often like to stick to the principle. I do not like people who make exceptions and justify their actions. That pisses me off.

8. President of the 23rd Judicial Council
I was elected as a president of the 23rd Judicial Council in 2017 first semester. I resented the absence of presumption of innocence in our student rules, merely justified for the purpose of keeping the dorm in order. Thus, I chose the keyword "trsut" as the direction of reforms, restructuring the stance of Judicial Branch, leaning slightly toward students to protect them from being wrongly accused and penalizied. At the end, I got reprimanded by both some students and some teachers, the accusors. Those reproves, often ignorant about the true reality, despaired me, but still it was the best lesson in KMLA that effectively taught me what responsibility and justice truely means.

9. I am an only child. Interestingly, I never wanted nor asked my parents that I want a younger brother or a sister. I guess I extremely enjoyed the advantage that an only child can have: monopolizing parents' love and attention.

10. Chinese/Japanese
I can speak three languages: Korean, English,, and Chinese. I had studied chinese from 5 years old for a while. In KMLA, I regain the chance to maintain my linguistic interest. Luckily, I also received satisfactory results in SAT Subject Test Chinese with Listening. My next goal is learning Japanese up to a level that I can understand normal conversations.

11. Animation - Detective Conan
This animation was the major cause that made me feel the necessity of studying Japanese. The main character Conan, a smart detective, filled large portions of my childhood, once leading me to pursue the future career as a detective when I was young. This still stays as my favorite Japanese animation.

12. Poor dresser
I have little interest in fashion fields and clothes; In fact, I can be classified as one of the worst dressers in KMLA.

13. Grandmother
I spent my most of childhood with my grandmother. At first, I hated it because I was often embarrassed by her because people often gossiped about her strange outlooks (She is disabled because of several car accidents) whenever I played at the playground. Now, however, I extremely appreciate her efforts. Without her, my personality and characteristics would have not been completed.

14. Vision Trip to America in 2016
The trip was the main momentum for me to make the biggest decision I had to do ever in my 19 years of life. It was my first time to visit all these prestigious universities in America, which expanded my perspective. I always dreamed of studying abroad in America when I graduate high school, and the Vision Trip was the trigger of the decision. It was hard to persuade my parents who wanted me to study hard for Seoul National University. To them, the international field seemed just so risky and instable. I also agitated a lot, weighing both benefits and possible harms of making a big decision. However, at last, I hated refusing to follow what my heart said. I did not want to regret about the road not taken. I at least wanted to be brave about my life, not being a coward.

15. Political science
My academic interest lies at political science. Especially, I enjoy exploring different countries' political institutions and structures and appraise their political efficacies. I am currently planning to major in International Relations in the university; I wish I can work in NGOs or supernational organizations someday.

16. Donation
I have been donating $30 every month to UNICEF for about 8 years. My interest in global societies, especially in global conflicts, may have derived from the practice.

17. Ramyeon
It is my favorite dish.

18. Clean Bed.
To make it clear, I am not a neat freak. This is pretty clear when people look at my desks, covered with unused objects all over the place. However, my bed is almost the only one place that I am obsessed with maintaing it untainted. No one came come up to my bed. I EVEN wipe my laptop and cell phone before I put them on my bed. Thus, there are many friends who are willing to sleep in my bed the day before we leave the dorm.

19. Narcissist
A common evaluation about me from my friends is that I have notably higher self-esteem than others, almost viewed as narcissism. I do think that I love myself more than other people will normally do. I think it is my own way to cope with stressful situations because it seems like to give me some kind of confidence. Thus, nowadays I am confused whether my narcissistic personality is genuine or a mere self-defense mechanism.

20. New Experience
I extremely enjoy trying new things. This might be because I get easily bored doing repetitive, mundane tasks. For instance, when I went to Hawaii to take SAT, I did not feel good right after the test, thinking that I did not meet my goal. However, I decided to experience new things anyway, so I headed to the beach and learned how to surf.

21. Miser
I do not mind using my money for someone else so much. However, I really hate using money for myself, such as shopping. i just feel guilty and uncomfortable spending money on certain products, even related to my hobby or interests.

22. Bad sense of directions
I really suck at finding directions. I do not remember how to get somewhere, even if I visited there several times. I can blame my father for this defect since he is always scolded by my mom whenever he drives. In contrast, my mom seems to have certain GPS and navigation inside her head. Thus, one of my favorite cities in the world is NYC, formed by sreets and avenues, making me easy to find ways.

23. I hate Apple products
Maybe I am already tamed or brain-washed by Samsung. Still, I do not understand why people use iphones or Macbooks. They are just too complicated for me to use.

24. Mongolia
This country is where I visit once in two years to visit my cousins and uncle who work there as a clergyman. Whenever I lie down on the hill of the vast green plain, I feel like I am extricated from all concerns and problems in my life, at least for the moment.

25. Chatter box

26. Cheonan
I currently live in Seoul, not Ilsan

27. Memorization
I believe I am good at memorizing stuffs. Especially, I am good at memorizing meaningless things such as Mr. Kim's phone numbers or his car number.

28. Black

29. Music (Instruments)
I literally cannot play any musical instrument. I once tried flute, but I stopped after realizing that I both suck and hate playing it. However, I came to KMLA and learned how to play Korean Traditional Drum in the school club called Samuchim. Even though it is embarassing to say that now I have my own instrument that I can play, I see it as one of the changes in myself that happened in this school.

30. Caramel Macchiato

No comments:

Post a Comment